At this time of the year, cold and flu bugs are everywhere. Something as simple as a hot cup of herbal tea can give you the calm you crave when feeling under the weather. There are plenty of herbal teas that taste delicious and can help loosen the hold symptoms from a cold or flu infection have on you.
The aromatherapy from inhaling steaming herbs soothes irritated sinuses and lungs. The warm liquid encourages a sore throat to relax. And the properties the hot water extracts from the herbs help support your immune system, calm an upset stomach and break up congestion in your nose and chest.
1) Ginger Tea – A cup of tea made with ginger has a wonderful warming effect on your body that feels very comforting if you have a chill from a fever. It’s an especially helpful relief if you have an upset stomach.
2) Clove Tea – An expectorant that makes it easier to cough up congestion in your lungs, a tea made with cloves can also encourage sinuses to open up so you can breathe easier and settle down an upset stomach.
3) Liquorice Tea – With a delicious sweet flavor without the sugar, liquorice supports your immune system while reducing soreness in your throat. Another fantastic herb for calming spasms in your lungs while thinning mucus so it’s easier for your cough to be productive instead of dry and irritating.
4) Peppermint Tea – Contains menthol which helps break up congestion along with having a calming and numbing effect. A helpful natural remedy when you have symptoms like a headache, nausea and congested sinuses.
5) Yarrow Tea – Relaxes you while offering great immune system support. This classic herbal remedy for colds and flu encourages your body to sweat which can help naturally reduce a fever.